Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quick nebula nail art tutorial

I had some people ask about a tutorial for my intergalactic nails, so I threw together a super quick one that should give you a basic idea. I have a terrible camera, so I apologize for the photos, but I hope it helps!



You will need various nail polish(mine are listed in my previous post), a makeup sponge applicator, a small brush or toothpick, and a palette to put the polish on(I used a paper plate).



To start, I chose a dark base. You can use dark blue, black, purple, whatever you want. I chose DS mystery because it has a nice sparkle to it. I did two coats and let it dry completely.



Next, take the sponge and apply a small amount of pale or baby blue, gently dabbing it onto the nail in whatever pattern you want until you get the coverage you desire. Remember to be gentle and keep a light hand.



Over the blue, I applied a spring green using the same dabbing technique.



Over this, I next applied pink/magenta. Experiment with different colors. Purple also works well! I like this pink because it has a faint blue sparkle to it.



Next, I apply a little yellow. It turns a bit orange-ish when applied over the pink, which is fine. Concentrate it in certain areas if you desire to make them brighter.



You can't tell, but I applied a sheer orange shimmer over the yellow/pink areas for a little depth and shine.



Next, I took a darker, more royal blue and dabbed around the edges of the 'nebula'. You can use it to help shape and darken areas in.



After that, I used more of my base color, the dark violet, so do a little more shaping/darkening of certain areas. Just gently dab it around until you're satisfied. I also added in a touch of Orly's Space Cadet on the dark areas, which give a nice additional space-y shimmer.



Last, use a small paintbrush/toothpick/whatever to add some 'stars' randomly. I then add some sheer holo-y glitter to the nail, not all over it, just in random spots. Slap on a topcoat and that's pretty much it!

I did this super fast so I didn't do much shaping, but it gives you the general idea. Have fun and experiment with it! Use different colors, patterns, whatever! It's mostly trial and error. I hope this was a little helpful to some people. :)

38 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial. I've never done nail art like this before, but I'm going to give this a try! I love these intergalactic nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah so nice! I really love spacey nails but my attempts at replicating them always fail terribly. I will have to try your tutorial out and see if it helps. Thanks a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so amazing but I'll be trying it soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU! This is awesome and I can't wait to try it...I'm emailing this post to myself so that I can quickly reference it this weekend or next (and then create my own...muahaha!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, you're awesome!
    Thank you soo much.

    Here's my attempt:
    http://i.imgur.com/bU7x2.png
    Big mess I know, but I'll keep practicing!

    Again, thank you Lex!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great job Alejandra! It looks gorgeous. :)

    I'm glad everyone liked the tutorial, if you use it make sure to show me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! I really admire your work, you're awesome!

    I had a go at it and posted it on my blog, of course all credit goes to you! :) http://www.emilydenisephotography.com/blog/?p=1160

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg I love the nebula nails, but I would LOVE LOVE to see how in the WORLD you do the galaxy design! I'm dying seriously DYING for a tutorial on this! I found your nails through google and I've been searching like a mad man for a tutorial. If you ever have the chance, please enlighten all of us on the galaxy design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looooooveee these nails but how do you do the nebulas? (It shows 2 made on one hand of your other post)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! Amazing blog! Just wanted to let you know I featured this post in my brand new blog, somewhereoverthebrainbow in my very first post! Feel free to take a peek - http://somewhereoverthebrainbow.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/gnarly-nebulas/
    Have you had a chance to play around with fimo clay canes yet? I'm dying to experiment with them myself! Looking forward to seeing more of your work
    xo
    Jenny C

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That is all I can say! Amazing nail art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you do the galaxies though? Those are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoops just saw this. You are a nail god.

    ReplyDelete
  15. just did my own version, thanks!

    http://jaggedfox.blogspot.com/2011/07/first-try.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. aw man mine look like crayola took a poo on my nails. how do you get the sponge colors so, eh, airy(?) looking mine looks chunky.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so amazing, I'm gonna give it a shot sometime. Looks so professional but it's so simple!

    SIDEWALKCATWALKS.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE THIS!! Going to try it this weekend!!!

    http://gellinjelly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. THIS. IS. AMAZING.
    you are really talented, following!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. can't wait to try this out! thanks so muchhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. honestly, i am very new to be addicted on styling my nails. and sometimes i think this is a best ever hobby in my life. so chick.. defines my mood.

    Dr. G

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eu acabei de fazer e ficou linda demais! Obrigada *-*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the tutorial! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect! *-* I loved! thanks for the post ;*

    ReplyDelete
  26. great & easy to follow. going to attempt it myself. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thought you might want to take a look at my version/attempt.

    http://sarahuk4.blogspot.com/2012/01/outta-this-world-space-nails.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so amazing. I tried it, but didn't come out like yours. But in the end i like the way mine turned out as well, but would've have preferred it to come out like yours. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  29. SO WONDERFUL! Oh my! I never did anything that took time with my nails, but this totally inspired me! I think I'm going to be a nebula for Halloween now. This is so lovely. Thanks for sharing your nebula nails. <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can you also do a how-to on the nebulas?? This is amazing and I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Doing this right now! It looks amazing an it's pretty easy, too! Thank you so much for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I thought this was going to be the typical 'nail polish in water' thing and dipping your nails in, but I was surprised, and the result is lovely! Do you have any tutorials on rainbow nails done with a sponge?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Lex, thank you for a great tutorial. I've used it as a guide for my first galaxy nails.
    You can see them here (I have also linked back to your post): http://seminkjoleogaltdetandet.blogspot.dk/2012/08/day-19-galaxies.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the tutorial, love, love love this nail design!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd love to know how you do the nebula, too. I love this design, but the nebula is absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and love any comments, questions, or feedback, and try my best to respond! Please be courteous and don't spam or repeatedly link back to your own blog or website. :)